Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Color Music Composers

I figured that it would be good idea if I started this blog off by listing the important composers who have pieces that are important in defining color music.  This is not an all-inclusive list.  There are many more composers that I could reference.  I believe that this would be a good starting point for defining color music.

Bartók, Béla
Berg, Alban
Berio, Luciano
Boulez, Pierre
Debussy, Claude
Dusapin, Pascal
Dutilleux, Henri
Grisey, Gerard
Ligeti, György
Lutoslawski, Witold
Messiaen, Olivier
Murail, Tristan
Penderecki, Krzysztof
Rautavaara, Einojuhani
Saariaho, Kaija
Schoenberg, Arnold
Schwantner, Joseph
Scriabin, Alexander
Takemitsu, Toru
Tan Dun
Torke, Michael
Varése, Edgard
Webern, Anton
Xenakis, Iannis

Edit: December 11 @ 9:40 p.m.
Added Michael Torke to the list per Robert's suggestion.

3 comments:

  1. Michael Torke comes to mind as a composer who literally wrote color-inspired music.

    And good luck with the blog. I'm particularly interestred in timbre...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Michael Torke is another composer who belongs on this list. I have his CD "One" from Ecstatic Records that includes the orchestral pieces Green, Purple, Ecstatic Orange, Ash and Bright Blue Music. I guess I did not list him initially because I do not yet know enough of his music. I will have to revisit this CD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert,

    Thanks for your comment. This topic has been a "pet project" of mind for some time now. This blog gives me some more motivation to continue my research.

    ReplyDelete